Monday, March 30, 2009

Pain is Addictive



Pastel was the sky, when I woke up
And the clock was timing nine
I rubbed my eyes and sat on the bed
Nothing seems to be fine.

I looked around and felt the angst
Smoke – was all I could see
Aloft the ashes hovering
Descending and resting on me.

Deliberately enough
I tried to move
Cautiously out of my room,
Titillating the fire
I evoked it more
Vigorously, it brought my doom –
Exasperated and dead!
..........................................................................................................
Written on Prompts at:
1. One Single Impression:
Prompt 57: Smoke
2. Acrostic Only: Pain is Addictive
Also Linked to: Monday Poetry Train Revisited #21

It’s a saga that would actually never been spelt. Someone thought of it, moments before/he dies. S/he wakes up and finds her/himself in a smoky room. All around her/him was fire – ready to guzzle her/him up. The poem talks about the last feelings of that person.
A Question for the Acrostic Guru, Amias: Does it show the pain? Does the poem say that its addictive?
Well, when I asked myself, I said, “the pain must be addictive, otherwise, the person might not have been able to write/say those lines seeing cruel death up front!” (lol)

13 comments:

  1. This paints such a picture of a house engulfed with fire... I wake up to see smoke all around... Then I wonder why am i not coughing.. I look around and suddenly realise Im looking down upon my room

    I see myself on the bed.. Like a mirror.. But motionless.. I wonder why.. It hits me.. I'm dead. Im free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel this one through and through. I often wonder why it is addictive. It surely is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tan, with fire, this pain was addictive. Ouch. Now am I speaking to the living Tan or his ghost.

    Very well done Tan. And so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done Tan, clever use of rhyming - I think the addictive pain must be the acrostic1 If you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever acrostic - a couple of zen moments in this piece...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you portrayed angst here...it became physical in its power over our spirit. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one, specially the ending lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow !! phantasmagoric!! loved this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. too beautifully done !! m in awe of ur writes TAN !! you just rock !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting poem and your discussion of it is interesting also. I love the way your blog is designed It's like visiting a temple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Rashi/RV

    I'm dead! I'm free!!

    That was a wonderful thought. I'm happy you got this thought after reading my poem!! Awww... (I learnt this in the Lounge - dont know the exact meaning though- hahahahahaha)

    You told about a situation after the death and the poem talks about the situation while dying... good na? hehehe...

    @ Sandy

    Happy to see you felt it. Nice nice ... thanks :)

    @ Amias

    I'm still alive Amias. Still alive... Keep reading me, for I will write more in future...

    @ STG

    I'm not exactly sure what you meant STG. Thanks for your comment. As you always point out, I make it a point to try to rhyme as long as I can and express the feelings...

    @ TumbleWords

    Zen Moments?? hehehe .. thanks thanks :)

    @ Fledging Poet

    Thanks for the visit and for reading me, mate... thanks for your special comment :)

    @ Bharat/IP

    Thanks for liking it, mate... keep reading me ...

    @ Nave

    You seemed to teach me a totally new word!! Thanks for the wonderful comment.

    @ Pratibha/PM

    We always rock together, Pratibha... A writer is too less without readers ... and when you read and comment, it makes it all more effective...

    @ Gautami

    Thanks a lot for reading me... keep visiting :)

    @ Niyaa

    Welcome to my blog. Thanks for the read :)

    @ Raven

    Welcome to my blog.

    Temple!!! That was an awesome word to address my blog with. You made my day. Thanks a lot lot lot lot for the read and for your comment.

    However, the designing is actually not fully by me. I took the template, created by some great minds and edited a few things here and there ... thanks for liking it... Hope you like my writes too ... Keep visiting ...

    Cheers mates ... have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading me and choosing to comment. Your comment always encourages me to write more and write sense. Keep visiting, whenever you can and comment on the posts. I will be more than eager to receive your comments and suggestions.

Warm Regards,
Tan :)

PS: Please visit my other blog: Thus Spake Tan!